Jackson, Mississippi was once known
as LeFleur's Bluff, named after the French-Canadian who was the
first person of European heritage to settle here in the late 1700s.
It was located on the Natchez Trace and consisted of a trading post
originally. On November 28, 1821, the capital of Mississippi was
relocated from Natchez to the more centrally located site of LeFleur's
Bluff in Hinds County. It was later renamed Jackson, in honor of
In 1839 there was a law passed in
Jackson, permitting the women of Mississippi to own and administer
their own property.
During the Civil War, Jackson was
a center of manufacturing for the Confederate States of America.
During the war, it was involved in two battles, the latter resulting
in a one-week seige of the city. Following the final battle, Union
forces burned the city to the ground so completely that it was known
as "chimneyville". Only the chimneys were left of the
homes in Jackson. Very few buildings of that era are left standing
in Jackson. Today, the Governor's Mansion, the city hall building
and the "old" capital building are among the few that
were not burned down.
Today, Jackson is a thriving, modern
city that would not be recognized as a place that has endured so
much. There are several institutes of higher learning in Jackson
and many large corporations have facilities there. Jackson is a
beautiful place to visit and is amidst some of the most historic
Civil War sites.
When in the Jackson area, be sure
Mansion - 300 East Capitol Street, Jackson, MS
Water Park - Mendenhall, MS
Petrified Forest - 124 Forest
Park Rd., Flora, MS
Gardens - 4736 Clinton Rd., Jackson,
R. Barnett Reservoir - 115 Madison
Landing, Ridgeland, MS
of Saint Peter the Apostle - Twice
burned, fully restored
House Museum - Home of Jackson's Civil