Click Here to Return to theTexas Page
Click Here to Return to the SOUTH Homepage

Page 5
Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Check
Please mention story title when making comments. Thanks.
Click Images for Larger View
The Ambush Site on Louisiana Hwy. 154
The Deaths of Bonnie and Clyde
Clyde Before Being Removed From Car
Bonnie Being Removed From Car
Clyde Being Removed From Car.
Arriving for Autopsy

WARNING: Please be advised that this page contains very graphic photos taken only moments after the deaths of Bonnie and Clyde.

Following the Grapevine murders, the manhunt for Bonnie and Clyde intensified. The FBI was relentless in its efforts to locate them, though their interest in them was for interstate transportation of stolen property, mainly automobiles. They were aware of the murders, so they did all they could to help the other law enforcement agencies involved.

On April 6, 1934, a constable was killed by Bonnie and Clyde in Miami, Oklahoma. They also kidnapped a police chief who had been wounded.

One week later, on April 13, 1934, an FBI agent was investigating the activities of Bonnie and Clyde around the town of Ruston, Louisiana, where they had once kidnapped a couple and stolen a car. The agent learned that Bonnie and Clyde had been recently spotted in the vicinity. It was the FBI that made the determination that Henry Methvin was a member of the gang and that Bonnie and Clyde were probably using the home of Methvin’s father as a hideout. The Methvin home was located near the community of Sailles, Louisiana, near the larger town of Gibsland.

On Louisiana Highway 154, at approximately 9 p.m. on Tuesday evening, May 22, 1934, six lawmen set up an ambush and waited. They spent the night there, waiting in the woods on the east side of the road in hopes of getting a shot at Clyde Barrow. As they were about to leave, shortly after 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning, May 23, 1934, a car was heard in the distance, speeding down the highway. It was Clyde Barrow at the wheel.

Some believe Frank Hamer had arranged a deal with Henry Methvin’s father, Ivy. Others imply the Hamer forced Ivy to cooperate. Regardless, Hamer assured Ivy that his son would get leniency if he, Ivy, helped set up Bonnie and Clyde. Ivy agreed.

As Clyde’s car came roaring southward down the road, it slowed almost to a stop to go around Ivy’s truck, which Ivy had agreed to park there. As Clyde changed lanes to go around the truck, he was about twenty feet from the officers! When Clyde slowed, the posse opened fire! According to the lawmen involved, the shooting lasted only about 12 seconds. Clyde was hit immediately by an armor piercing round from a Browning Automatic Rifle fired by Prentiss Oakley. Immediately more shots followed, striking Clyde and Bonnie. Clyde’s foot slipped off the clutch and the car rolled past them until it came to a rest in the ditch along the east side (left side) of the road.

Among the posse members were Deputies Ted Hinton and Bob Alcorn who had been involved in the failed ambush attempt near Sowers, Texas on November 22, 1933.

According to their statements regarding May 23, 1934, each of the six posse members had a Browning Automatic Rifle with armor piercing ammunition, which was emptied first at the car. Secondly, they used their shotguns to fire at the car as it rolled past them. Finally, they approached the car firing pistols. The car had gone about 50 yards past them and almost turned over in a ditch.

Following the ambush, Ted Hinton photographed the bloody scene, much of what you see here are the results of his work on that day.

As the word got out, sightseers became a problem, among them were souvenir hunters seeking memorabilia of one sort or another. One person was trying to cut a lock of Bonnie's hair, another tried to cut off Clyde's trigger finger while another tried to cut off a piece of his ear. It became apparent that the crowd was going to be too intrusive for medical personnel to attempt to remove the bodies from the car.

The car, containing the bodies of Bonnie and Clyde was towed to Conger's Furniture Store and Funeral Parlor in Arcadia, Louisiana for autopsies. The bodies were removed and the autopsies were performed. Among the personnel performing the autopsies was undertaker, Dilliard Darby, who had been kidnapped by Bonnie and Clyde in April of 1933.


Video Courtesy of YouTube

Click Here to Return to theTexas Page
Click Here to Return to the SOUTH Homepage
©2010 Copyright Wilson Jay